Mga Pahina

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

THROWBACK THURSDAY: WHAT I WOULD TELL MY 20 YEAR OLD SELF



I am fond of sharing and posting old photos of myself via social networking sites and image-sharing communities such as Instagram. This activity known as “Throwback Thursday” or hashtag “tbt” allows me to relive the events in my life that were worth living over several times.  

Synonymous with the Throwback Thursday originator Matt Halfhill of NiceKicks explaining what Throwback Thursday means; “It is allowing yourself to take a break from the news and have a moment to celebrate what happened in the past. We human beings become products of our past experiences — just the same as shoes.” I have to say I share the same opinion.

My Throwback Thursday photos consist of my 20 year old self. Looking at it makes me realize that I am fortunate enough that I don’t have many regrets in my life. I appreciate that who I am today is the product of the mistakes and lessons learned over the past years. But, if I were to have a frank tête-à-tête with my 20 year old self, there are few key pieces of advice I would drive home. In fact, there are many pearls of wisdom that I continue to tell myself up to this day! 



1. Don’t let anyone walk through your mind with their dirty feet.
People will not always understand or agree with the choices you make in your life. People will criticize you. People will tear you down. People will laugh at you. People will undermine you. Don’t let them! Believe in yourself and prove them wrong. Be that brave soul and never allow a life of many regrets.



2. Don’t Stop Learning
Once you stop learning, you start dying says Albert Einstein. I think that we should not stop learning because life goes on and on; teaching us different things and different perspective. Writing and reading daily, taking up activities that mentally push you will widen your horizon. Sharpening your mind gets harder as you get older and have less time due to other commitments.


3. Don’t Be Driven by Currency Signs
Money should not define you. It should not determine your value or self-worth, and it should not define success. Through the years, I have reminded myself that money is a tool. It is a means to an end. It is a way of sustaining life and obtaining goods. Nothing more. What I learned about life, you let your passions lead you because it will be your drive to work every day and live life to the fullest. Letting financial gain dictate your career and life decisions will lead you astray from what you really love resulting to frustration. If you have your heart as your compass, you will feel more invested in everything you do. You will have the drive to thrive which often results in lucrative outcome. So figure out a way to make a career out of your passions, interests, hobbies, and/or talents, and do it in a way that you can provide your services/goods to others while financially securing your future. Bottomline: Discover what you love. Do what you love and love what you do.


4. Don’t settle for less.
Don’t settle for lesser versions of your dreams. Don’t settle for anything less than exactly what you want. Anything less than spectacular is a waste of time. Strive for that ‘spectacular’ because it’s worth it.
5. Stay Grounded
Never forget that you have so much to absorb and to learn from the world. Stay humble and be thankful to God for every opportunity you’ve been given – because it may not come around a second time. Ditch any sense of entitlement and be eager to learn. Don’t let success get to your head or get caught up in your dreams. Keep your feet on the ground while looking to the sky. 


6.  Don’t lose yourself in love.
Don’t let any man be a validation of your self-worth and don’t make men your first priority. Instead, try to get to know yourself before you get in a serious relationship and be with someone who will hold your hand, and have your back, every step of the way and who puts God in the center of your relationship.  You deserve to be with someone who would love you for all you have been, for all that you are and for all that you are yet to be.


7. Make time to people you love
Tell your mom and dad, sisters as well as your brothers that you love them. They will be gone one day soon. Cherish each time you have with them.
All of the lessons and growth I have experienced over the years have led me to believe that I might have something of value to share with other 20 year olds out there. Hope you learn something from my 20 year old self.





No comments: